Saturday, July 10, 2010

Randomness.....

Here are a few fun things I thought I would share with everyone.....

Funny Spanish

The spanish language makes me laugh sometimes. For example, I think its hilarious that the word for married (casado) is very close to the word for tired (cansado). So I guess if you are married, you are tired, which I think many of you would agree! And then, while I was talking to a friend about this, she was kind enough to point out that the word for wife (esposa) is incredibly similar to the work handcuffs (esposas). So I guess the phrase "ball and chain" does translate in a way! haha! Also, this is for you Kim! The word for boss is jefe, or for a female, jefa. When jefa is prounounced, I think it sounds a lot like heffer! Haha!



Flying Sopa

So here's a little story.....one night I was eating soup (sopa) for dinner with my Peruvian family and roommate, Ashley. An in their soup they like to put vegtables which I love! They have this awesome huge corn that is so yummy! The problem is, they put a whole piece of corn in the soups. So as I am trying to eat this corn off the cob in the middle of a soupy puddle in my bowl, I gave up and decided to use my fingers to get the large corn kernels off the cob. This was going fine and my family did not mind me using my hands in my soup. But then, one piece was quite difficult and slippery and as I was trying to remove the kernel it came free but then slipped out of my hand and flew across the room. haha! We were all laughing so hard! So I got up from my seat at the table and tried to find the large kernel I flung across the room. I couldn't find it anywhere! So my father in Peru, Cristobal, got up and looked with me while we were still laughing. He couldn't find it either and finally he moved the couch and it was under the couch in the living room!



Bajo Esquina

And here's another fun story.......For Love Extreme all the 40/40's from all over Peru came to Arequipa to help out with the MegaEvent. I was leaving the church and heading to Zamocola (basically a suburb of Arequipa) where I live with some of the Peruvian 40/40's from the jungle. We all hopped onto a combi (public bus/van transportation thingy) going to Zamocola So these girls had only been in Arequipa for a few days and they didn't know how to get back to where they were staying. But I live in Zamocola very close to where they were staying so I knew the way. When you are on a combi, to get off you say bajo (I get down). If you want to get off on the corner you say bajo esquina. I ride combi's everyday to school so I am quite used to the routine. So anyway, a bunch of Peruvian 40/40's and I were on the combi and when it was time for us to get off I yelled out bajo esquina for all of us. The girls thought this was hilarious as everyone in the combi looked at me and the girls told me they were probably all thinking how weird that this gringa chick is yelling bajo for all these Peruvians who don't know the way. The girls have talked about this incident and laughed for over a week now. And everytime I see them they say, bajo esquina!


Heaven in Peru

Here is a video of heaven in Peru! I also will soon be posting a video of one of our spanish classes. Those of you who use facebook, I have had some time this week to add photos and my friend has posted the other video I wanted to share with you all. So if you don't have any patience, you can go to my facebook page and click videos to watch the other one or go to my pictures to see what I have been up to!



Mi Hermanita

The Peruvian family I live with has a little girl, also named Kristin, que casualidad! (my favorite phrase in spanish, it means, what a coincidence). Kristin is five months old and within the past week or so has found her voice. Here is a link to some videos we took of her making noises after dinner the other night. She is so cute, its worth watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC6PTvP6GZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY8IRHjCqyc

Trevor's Blog

My friend and fellow 40/40, Trevor, has an awesome blog on our recent cooking class in spanish school. He has pictures, recepies and a video of our desert! Check it out at the link below. Our food turned out wonderful and we had a fun time while learning the culture and some new words.

http://www.trevorinperu.blogspot.com/

Smarties

Oh yeah, and one more random thing....my cluster support mom, Tricia found Smarties here! But they are like mini m&m's, not smarties at all. hehe!

And now you know why I titled this.....Randomness! hehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment