Sunday, January 2, 2011

Welcome.....

I got a lovely, warm welcome back to Peru. Here's what happened.....

Micah, Trevor and I went down to a market by the Plaza de Armas (basically, downtown) on New Year's Eve. We walked around and bought some fireworks and sparklers for later that day. Also, we saw a street show that was incredibly strange with a traditionally dressed Peruvin woman whipping Peruvian men while another guy changed into a mini skirt and spandex shirt that said "baby" then gave lap dances to old men watching this strange show. The actors, if you want to call them that, were engulfed in a crowd of onlookers and everyone seemed to be enjoying the show. Micah, Trevor and I watched in horror and suprise, like a car accident, we just couldn't look away. So, that was a weird part of our little outing but it got worse.

We walked to a combi route and hopped on to get back to our house. As we rode the combi men and women got on and off at different spots as usual. One man got on and stood next to me. I was suspicious of this man because he did have a large coat draped over one arm and I thought about how easy it would be to steal something of someones under that puffy coat. But I didn't think much of it as I examined his positioning, there was no way that hand could reach to my purse which was securely around my neck and body as well as zipped up all the way. Then as more people got on the combi, this man changed positions and he was right up next to me, our bodies touching which is normal for rush hour. As he moved he excused himself for bumping up next to me and proceeded to ask me if I was getting off. Right after I answered, no, I wasn't getting off yet, I felt something strange and realized he had his hand, the one under the large puffy coat, was inside my purse! I was shocked but luckily was quick enough to react. Immediatley let out a scream and pushed him away. Then grabbed at his hand to see what he had taken. I felt my camera in his greasy hand under that large coat. Quickly I smacked his hand and the camera fell to the floor of the combi. Right away I retrieved my camera from the ground and put it back in my purse. By the time I was standing back up he was still there and without thinking I smacked him on the shoulder and shouted, "No!" with as scream as if he were a naughty child. Just as this was all happening the combi was stopping. The thief got off in a rush and while the combi was still stopped and he was walking away I frantically searched my purse to make sure I had the most important and most expensive items such as my money purse, my glucometer, my camera of course I had but checked to make sure, and my cell phone. Thanks to God, I had eveything! And thanks to God for helping me to be react so clearly and retrive the stolen camera.


Normally I'm such a sissy, I thought that I would just stand and scream if anything bad ever happened to me. But I'm glad to know that I can react as needed in times of need. Yes, of course I let out a scream as well, that was my first reaction, but I'm so glad I was able to move past the standing and screaming part!

So, on my second day back in Peru, this was my welcome home! haha! But one final thought on this incident came from my friend Trevor who was nearby on the combi when this happened. One of the first things Trevor said to me after this all happened, was that he wanted to scream obscenities in spanish at the man, although he refrained. But the other thing Trevor said was, "It's so hard to be a missionary." I thought he was changing the subject, I had no idea what he was talkng about. He then explained the thoughts going on in his head. That although we were very angry with this man, that we need to love him. Ouch! Way to put it into perspective Trev! Not because we are missionary's (and you all know I hate that word), but that we are Christians, that we love God and have made a commitment to live more like Jesus eveyday. Its because of this that we need to love him. So don't hate the man that tried to rob me, love him and pray for him.

Matthew 6:27-28, 32

“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

No comments:

Post a Comment